Episode 17 of Season 14
Airdate: April 4, 2019
Directed by John F. Showalter
Written by Meredith Glynn
|When Nick kidnaps Donatello, the prophet calls the Winchesters for help. But as Nick's scheme unfolds, we learn that Donatello was just a means to an end, and Nick's true focus was on someone else entirely.
Meanwhile, Castiel embarks on a secret quest to try to restore Jack's soul.
- Mary to Jack: “How about you? Feeling better?”
Jack to Mary: “Everybody keeps asking me that.”
Mary to Jack: “We’re family. It’s our job.”
Jack to Mary: “Well, it’s annoying.”
- Nick to Dean: “I get you, Dean. You and me, we’re almost like brothers, you know. Michael-you, Lucifer-me. We both know what it’s like to be hog tied to a nuclear warhead, Man. You’re not the same after something like that, are you? Being one with one of them…changes you; makes you more than human.”
- Sam: “Nick is locked down in our bunker. How’s he even a threat?”
Mary to Sam: “He’s always a threat."
- Sam to Dean: “You always put me first. Your whole life.”
- Well, one burning question was answered here; Mary is really gone.
- Can Sam and Dean ever forgive Jack for what he's done?
- Will Jack learn to control his temper now that he knows what his temper can do?
- Will Rowena remain a firm Winchester ally? She really worked with them here.
- How long will Sam and Dean consider Jack to be "family"?
- Will Sam and Dean be able to forgive Cas for not telling them that he knew something was wrong with Jack?
- Will Jack learn how to spell "Cass" (see episode trivia below)?
- Jack has visions of Lucifer standing in for his subconscious.
- Even Jack is not powerful enough to bring Mary back from the dead.
- Mary is in heaven with John and at peace.
- This means that John is in heaven.
- Mary's death was instant and painless.
- If John and Mary are sharing a heaven, earlier show canon would argue that John and Mary are soulmates.
- Mary took on a mother role with Jack that we see in flashbacks.
- Mary somewhat considers Jack Sam and Dean's son as she gives Sam advice about parenting in a flashback.
- Mary didn't trust Cas much when she was first brought back to life. She didn't trust him enough to let her heal him after a hunt.
- Cas admires Mary's abilities as a hunter.
- Mary knows how important Cas is in the lives of Sam and Dean; telling Cas they were "never alone" even when she was dead.
- Supernatural often kills off a major recurring character 3 episodes before the season finale and this year it was Mary.
- Mary's initials have joined Sam and Dean's carved into the bunker's table
- This is the first time the gates of heaven have opened since they were closed by Naomi in the episode Funeralia.
- On Jack's phone, Cas' name is spelled "Cass".
- In a flashback, Mary tells Cas that Sam and Dean were "never alone" even when she and John were dead; acknowledging the importance of Cas in their lives. This also references the "never homeless" sentiment from season 5's finale Swan Song. I could also mean that as long as they have each other, they are never alone.
- Sam and Dean gave Mary's "empty shell" that Jack brought back a hunter's funeral.
- No notable music used.