JACK IN THE BOX
Episode 19 Season 14
Airdate: April 18, 2019
Directed by Robert Singer
Written by Brad Buckner and Eugenie Ross-Leming
|When Jack falls under the influence of heaven and his own corrupt Lucifer-hallucinations, the stakes and the body count quickly rise. Castiel and the Winchesters race against time to find Jack and stop him, but the plan Dean and Sam pursue leads to disastrous consequences.|
- Castiel to Sam and Bobby: “A hunter's memorial complete with a monster. Mary would’ve appreciated that.”
- Bobby to Sam and Castiel (about Jack): “An unstoppable monster who don’t know right from wrong gets put down – or the closest we can get to it. And anybody who don’t know that needs to go back to school.”
- Sam to Dean: “We know the truth. We know god is real. We know angels are real, too."
Dean to Sam: “God writes paperback books in his underwear, okay. And angels are d*cks.”
- Well, one burning question was answered here; Mary is really gone.
- Can Sam and Dean ever forgive Jack for what he's done?
- Will Jack learn to control his temper now that he knows what his temper can do?
- Will Rowena remain a firm Winchester ally? She really worked with them here.
- How long will Sam and Dean consider Jack to be "family"?
- Will Sam and Dean be able to forgive Cas for not telling them that he knew something was wrong with Jack?
- Will Jack learn how to spell "Cass" (see episode trivia below)?
- Jack has visions of Lucifer standing in for his subconscious.
- Even Jack is not powerful enough to bring Mary back from the dead.
- Mary is in heaven with John and at peace.
- This means that John is in heaven.
- Mary's death was instant and painless.
- If John and Mary are sharing a heaven, earlier show canon would argue that John and Mary are soulmates.
- Mary took on a mother role with Jack that we see in flashbacks.
- Mary somewhat considers Jack Sam and Dean's son as she gives Sam advice about parenting in a flashback.
- Mary didn't trust Cas much when she was first brought back to life. She didn't trust him enough to let her heal him after a hunt.
- Cas admires Mary's abilities as a hunter.
- Mary knows how important Cas is in the lives of Sam and Dean; telling Cas they were "never alone" even when she was dead.
- Supernatural often kills off a major recurring character 3 episodes before the season finale and this year it was Mary.
- Mary's initials have joined Sam and Dean's carved into the bunker's table
- This is the first time the gates of heaven have opened since they were closed by Naomi in the episode Funeralia.
- On Jack's phone, Cas' name is spelled "Cass".
- In a flashback, Mary tells Cas that Sam and Dean were "never alone" even when she and John were dead; acknowledging the importance of Cas in their lives. This also references the "never homeless" sentiment from season 5's finale Swan Song. I could also mean that as long as they have each other, they are never alone.
- Sam and Dean gave Mary's "empty shell" that Jack brought back a hunter's funeral.
- No notable music used.