Season 15 Episode 4
Airdate: November 7, 2019
Directed by: Jensen Ackles
Written by: Davy Perez
|The episode starts with an extended fight sequence that turns out to be Sam dreaming; wherein Sam is a demon, having never kicked his addiction to demon blood, and an unshaven Dean is fighting off demons in the bunker with the help of Benny, who dies in the fight and who Dean refers to as "brother". The next morning in the bunker's kitchen, Sam is struggling emotionally after the death of Rowena and the fact that he had to kill her (at her request). Dean suggests they get back on the road and find a case to get Sam's mind off things. They find several cattle mutilations as they search online and head off to a high school where someone is killing cheerleaders. The culprit turns out to be a newly-turned teenage vampire with extremely over-protective parents. Meanwhile, Chuck is lost without Amara and stuck on earth so he seeks out Becky, the woman who was previously his biggest fan, to see if she can help him find himself again. She (unaware that he is God; only that he is a prophet) counsels him to start writing again. We find out that Becky is in a healthier place and now has a husband and two children and spends every extra minute writing her own Supernatural fan fiction. Becky encourages Chuck to start writing again and he does; a draft of something about the Winchesters that Becky reads and thinks is boring. This angers Chuck so he re-writes it to include an ending to the Winchester's story that has Becky in tears and begging him not to go through with it. Chuck snaps Becks out of existence (or zaps her to another location along with her husband and children) because she doesn't like his new ending for Sam and Dean. It sounds like whatever Chuck has in mind is extremely ominous. Sam and Dean have a talk in the Impala on the way home from the hunt about their lives. Dean is very glad that Chuck/God is not controlling them anymore (he believes), but Sam just cannot get past all the loss in their lives.|
- I DON'T WANT ANY OF THAT HIPPIE SARAH MCLAUGHLIN GRASS EATER CRAP IN THE MEAT MAN'S
KITCHEN - DEAN
- THE END OF THE WORLD IS THE END OF THE WORLD. - SAM
- SO YOU WANT ME TO FLUFF YOU? -BECKY
- I CAN DO ANYTHING. I'M A WRITER.-CHUCK
- How much, exactly, is God controlling now?
- Will Sam ever get his veggie bacon? Probably not from Dean.
- What did the initial Sam dream sequence mean? Was that Sam's connection to or manipulation from God? Why was he dreaming about him never getting off demon blood and Dean being closer to Benny than his own brother? Was this one of God's alternate endings he was seeing thanks to Sam's current connection to God via the wounds they both have?
- Where exactly did God send Becky and her husband and children?
- Will Sam be able to climb out of his depression of the loss of so many he cares about?
- Would Dean really have given his life for Jack? Sam, maybe, but I don' t know about Dean.
- God is desperate for support and wants someone to stroke his ego and, essentially, worship him, so he goes to find Becky, his (previously) biggest fan.
- Sam still thinks about Jessica and everyone he and Dean have lost.
- Sam is not doing okay. Dean seems happy that he's sure God is not controlling them anymore, but Sam cannot stop feeling depressed over all the people they've lost, including the recent losses of Jack and Rowena.
- Becky has matured and now has a husband and children...she still loves Supernatural, but has taken to writing her own fan fiction and selling Supernatural-related items online.
- God feels he has written a good ending for the Winchesters that just ends with one headstone reading "Winchester", but this ending has Becky extremely upset after reading it.
- Becky is on meds and has seen a therapist which helped her achieve a more standard life.
- This episode was directed by Jensen Ackles; the first time he's directed since 2011.
- The song behind the scene of them beheading the vampire is from Jensen Ackles first album of original music. He partnered with Steve Carlson to create a groups called Radio Company and their first album, Vol. 1, was released on November 8, 2019, the day after this episode aired.
- Ty Olsson who plays Benny flew in for a day just film the initial dream sequence at the request of Jensen who wanted someone in Sam's dream sequence to be Benny, who he said was one of his favorite characters on the show.
- Jensen said that he slipped his song (actually, several) into this episode and expected someone to object, but no one objected to the song left in for the vampire beheading scene.
- In Sam's initial dream sequence, he imagines he never got off of demon blood and is as powerful as a demon as a result.
- In the initial dream sequence, Dean refers to Benny as "brother"; alluding to the fact that he's been estranged from Sam for a long time and seems to have strengthened his relationship with Benny as a result.
- Becky refers to selling Supernatural miniatures on Etsy; an online market for arts and crafts.
- Sounds of Someday - Jensen Ackles (!) and Steve Carlson