airdate: October 21, 2014
directed by Jensen Ackles
written by Brad Buckner & Eugenie Ross-Leming
|JENSEN ACKLES RETURNS TO THE HELM AS DIRECTOR — Sam continues his efforts to save Dean from the Mark of Cain. Crowley realizes Dean’s demonic antics are starting to cause problems for him in Hell so he searches out an unlikely ally – Castiel.|
- Sam to Dean (before starting the ritual of purified blood) - "For whatever it's worth, I got your blood type."
- DemonDean to Sam - "Sammy, you know I hate shots."
Sam to DemonDean - "I hate demons."
- Hannah to Castiel - "I just...I worry about you."
- DemonDean to Sam - "So, let me ask you. Which one of us is really the monster? Hmm?"
- Sam to DemonDean - "This is me yanking your lame ass out of the fire."
|Erica Carroll (Hannah)||Jud Tylor (Edina)|
|Ruth Connell (Rowena)||Raquel Riskin (Dar/Crossroads Demon)|
|David Nykl (Lester)|
- Is Dean really back to his old self? Will the Mark of Cain continue to affect him?
- How will Dean get rid of the Mark? Can Sam help him?
- How long will Cas' "borrowed" grace sustain him?
- Where did Rowena come from and what does she want?
- Sam did cross a line. Will encouraging someone to sell their soul come back to haunt him?
- Why didn't Sam use his own blood for the cleansing ritual, as he did with Crowley?
- Why was the last part of the ritual -- the "bloody fist sandwich" and the chant "lustra" -- left out?
- Sam persuaded Lester into selling his soul so he could get his hands on a crossroads demon to try to find Dean.
- The demon purification ritual was much harder on Dean than on Crowley - because of the Mark of Cain perhaps?
- Crowley needs Cas alive and well.
- Despite Crowley's statement that he's not "sentimental" about Dean, he daydreams about their time together and seems to miss him.
- Dean keeps a few family photos hidden in his room. Considering their location (in a notebook) he likely looks at them from time to time.
- This episode marks Jensen Ackles' fourth time in the Supernatural director's chair. His other episodes are "Weekend at Bobby's" (season 6), "The Girl Next Door" (season 7), and "Heartache" (season 8).
- Sam got the blessed blood from St. Agatha's Hospital.
- Mark Sheppards son, Max, makes a brief appearance as one of the demons in Crowley's throne room.
- Despite the facts that Castiel crashed the car in the previous episode, and Hannah does not need to sleep, Castiel is driving again in this episode.
- When Hannah his driving, they pull over at the abandoned "Star Brite Drive In" to check the map and find their way. The visual effects crew inserted that deteriorating sign as a backdrop.
- The fight with Edina happens at "Lil' Levi's" gas station. This is a nod to Jensen's nephew, Levi.
- When DemonDean looks through the kitchen drawer for a weapon, the script called for him to choose the meat cleaver, but Jensen protested and got his way -- choosing the claw hammer instead.
- Dean asks Cas if Sam "wants a divorce"; the Winchesters have joked before about being like a married couple.
- When DemonDean is taunting Sam, he says Sam was trying to "get a 20" on him and Crowley. This refers to a shortened version of "10-20" -- a code from a communication system used by truckers. 10-20 indicates a specific location or a person or object.
- A "wing man" is a friend that someone might bring with him to a bar to help increase the chances of picking up a woman.
- Self-immolation is a form of protest in some cultures.
- The scene when DemonDean breaks through the door with a hammer is a nod to the Steven King book (and movie) "The Shining".
- "Shot Full of Heartache" -- by Peter Malick and Amyl Justin (plays at the bar when Sam is talking to Lester)
See below for the discussion thread for this episode.
|Started By||Thread Subject||Replies||Last Post|
|spnfanforever||Let's all discuss "Soul Survivor" here!(page: 1 2 3 4 5)||80||Oct 25 2014, 7:06 AM EDT byspnfanforever|
Thread started: Oct 14 2014, 6:53 AM EDT Watch
Here's your chance to sound off with your thoughts about "Soul Survivor" 🙂
- We've already talked about this A LOT over the summer from the clip provided as a teaser for the new season but tell us, what did you love and what didn't you like so much about the whole episode?