Various and Sundry Villains
Airdate: February 1, 2018
Directed by: Amanda Tapping
Written by: Steve Yockey
|Rowena Macleod makes a stunning return to Supernatural in this episode, just in time to involve herself in a plot to get a powerful book of magic from the Winchesters, while protecting the Winchesters from a pair of witches who also want a spell from the book. Meanwhile, we witness a startling turn of events involving the imprisoned angels Castiel and Lucifer.|
- Dean to Sam - "You said it yourself. We just keep our heads down and we do the work."
Sam to Dean - "You said that."
Dean to Sam - "And I was right."
- Castiel to Lucifer (about Asmodeus)- "Excuses aside, you're saying that you're too weak to overcome even your weakest creation?"
Lucifer to Castiel - "Shut up."
- Lucifer to Castiel (when Castiel taunts him about Jack) - "Did you just have an angel stroke?"
- Dean to Sam (when Sam can't reach the hex bag) - "Come on. You're like 8 feet tall. You can't reach that?"
|Jordan Claire Robbins
- How will the Winchesters free Jack and Mary from the alternate universe?
- Will Michael find a way into this world as Lucifer fears? Which side will Lucifer choose if Michael does try to harm this world?
- Will we learn more about what Lucifer's true face looks like? Will we see it?
- Where has Rowena been since her resurrection? Does she know Mr. Ketch has been looking for her?
- What did Rowena do that was so terrible that the Grand Coven bound her powers? And what will she do now that she has all her powers back? Can she defeat Lucifer?
- Rowena is alive! Apparently, the sigil on her leg was able to resurrect her once again.
- If Lucifer is telling the truth, he didn't create Asmodeus' shapeshifting powers, or intend the demon to have that ability.
- Years ago, the Grand Coven put a binding spell on Rowena. Rowena used the Black Grimoire to break that spell, so she is now at full power.
- Rowena seemed truly distraught when she learned that Crowley is dead.
- Sam and Rowena have both seen Lucifer's true face and have both been tortured by him; they are both haunted by their experiences.
- We first learned of the Black Grimoire in season 12 (Regarding Dean). I reality, the Grimoire is a book of spells and incantations. The "Black Grimoire" referenced in Supernatural may be a darker (fictional) version of the existing book.
- It would've taken the Winchesters approximately 5 hours to drive from the bunker in Lebanon, Kansas to Stilwater, Oklahoma.
- Elise Gatien, who played Jenny Plum in this episode, also played a kidnapped girl who was turned into a vampire in "Life Free or Twihard" (season 6).
- When Rowena makes her reappearance in this episode, she greets the Winchesters with "Hello, Boys", which is a greeting Crowley used many times. Rowena's role in this episode (betraying and using the Winchesters, but also saving them from harm or death) is also reminiscent of Crowley's role as their sometimes-ally who could never be completely trusted.
- Amanda Tapping directed this episode. She played the angel Naomi(season 8) and also directed one previous episode of Supernatural (The Future) in season 12.
- Jenny is wearing a Steve Miller Band concert tee shirt in this episode
- When Castiel and Lucifer make their way to the outside of Asmodeus' lair, the red buildings behind them are part of the same set (Riverside Hospital complex) where "The End" (season 5) was filmed:
This screencap is from "The End":
And this is from "Various and Sundry Villains" (Look at the buildings behind Lucifer):
- Sam reminds Dean that he was once cursed by a love spell, alluding to "Season 7, Time for a Wedding" (season 7) when Becky the super-fan put a love spell on Sam so he would marry her.
- According to the Urban Dictionary, "Twitterpated" means being deeply infatuated with someone or something
- Also according to the Urban Dictionary, "5th base" refers to anal sex
- Rowena's toast ("Slainte") translated from Gaelic means "Cheers"
- Dean apparently has a recording (probably a tape) of Led Zeppelin's "Moby Dyck" featuring an 8-minute drum solo by drummer John Bonham
- Dean teases that the Plum sisters are not "fan favorites", possibly alluding to the Supernatural fandom's ability tointensely like or dislike certain characters or actors
- Sam tells Dean that if Rowena "breaks bad" because he gave her a page from the Black Grimoire, he'll deal with her himself. "Breaking Bad" was a popular television series (2008 - 2013) about a chemistry teacher who sells illegal drugs to make money
Click HERE to see the discussion thread associated with this episode.