airdate: October 18, 2005
directed by Robert Duncan McNeill
written by John Shiban
Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) come to the aid of Sam's old college buddy after he is accused of a murder he swears he didn't commit. The brothers discover a shapeshifter is adopting the likenesses of others and murdering people. The brothers' race to stop the shapeshifter takes a terrifying turn when he shifts into the likeness of Dean.
- Dean: Augh! The thought of him driving my car!
- Sam: You know, the truth is, even at Stanford, deep down I never really fit in.
- Dean: How many chances am I gonna have to see my own funeral?
- Does Sam really miss his college friends and want to tell them what he's doing?
- Is Dean worried that Sam will get hurt if he tries to keep ties to his old life?
- Will Dean being officially dead get the law off the Winchesters' trail?
- When the shapeshifter takes on Dean's form and thoughts, he reveals that Dean may have had dreams of his own but had to stay home with Dad while Sam went off to college.
- When Sam and Dean go down into the sewer the sun is out but when they come out of the sewer a minute later to chase the shapeshifter it is dark outside.
- Iron Butterfly - "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
- Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Poison Whiskey"
- Filter - "Hey Man, Nice Shot"
- Free - "All Right Now"
- When the boys ask for refreshments, Rebecca says , "What do think this is, Hooters?" Hooters is a chain of restaurants with a relaxed beach-theme. Its also famous for its staff of Hooters girls.
- Dean mentions the Vulcan mind meld, a reference to the Star Trek Universe and the ability for Vulcans to meld with another's mind using a special position of the fingers on the face of the other person. Also, director Robert Duncan McNeil starred in Star Trek: Voyageras Lt. Paris.
In a quiet Iowa college town, a minister prays to protect his parishioners' children. But another minister - a two-centuries-old madman with a hook for a hand - wants them terrified, slashed, and dead.