Let the Good Times Roll
Airdate: May 17, 2018
Directed by: Robert Singer
Written by: Andrew Dabb
|In this fast-paced season 13 finale, Lucifer and Michael make a deal to open a rift and come into our world. Lucifer tries to get Jack to leave our world with him; but when Michael comes after the Winchesters, Jack returns to save them and battle the archangels. The outcome is disastrous and leads to an epic battle between good and evil that leaves one Winchester brother in unimaginable peril.
- Lucifer to Jack - "Yeah, I don't like to speak ill of people, but Sam is a big, at liar and he's a bad person...and like, freakishly tall, so..."
- Bobby to Dean - "You're gonna put out an A.P.B. on the devil?"
Dean to Bobby - "Yeah. I am."
- Jack to Lucifer - "Everything you told me was a lie."
Lucifer to Jack - "Because I told you what you wanted to hear, man."
- Bobby confessed to Mary that he prefers to stay in our world if he can. Is that because Mary is here and will likely stay?
- Why couldn’t Jack or Castiel resurrect Maggie? Why didn't either of them try?
- Why would Lucifer think he could make Jack and Sam kill each other?
- Is Lucifer truly dead?
- What will happen to Dean? Will he be strong enough to take control of his vessel and stop Michael from trying to destroy our world? If not, will Sam, Castiel and Jack be able to save him?
- Despite the fact that Dean is now Michael’s vessel, Bobby and the other people from the AU will likely still try to kill him. Will Sam be able to protect Dean from them?
- Rowena and Charlie are on a road trip, touring the southwest together
- Bobby admits that he prefers to remain in our world if he can
- Dean and Sam say they would retire if they thought the world was safe
- Dean and Jack both have nightmares about the people they couldn’t save
- Lucifer and Michael made a deal to open a rift and come into our world. In exchange for working together, Lucifer was supposed to get Jack, and Michael was allowed access to dominate our world
- Jack can hear prayers and force someone (including an archangel) to tell the truth
- This episode's title may refer to the 1978 song by the same name by the band The Cars
- Nate worked at a convenience.store called George's Gas-&-Go, located on Route 281. Route 281 runs north and south through Lebanon, Kansas
- Is it unusual that the deafening sound indicating an archangel's arrival would also hurt Castiel's ears? Doesn't that sound normally not bother other angels?
- Castiel tried to listen to angel radio to get news on Lucifer and Jack, but only heard static, possibly reflecting the fact that there are so few angels left in heaven
- Back in season 5, we learned from the angel Zachariah that Dean Winchester is Michael's "sword" or his true vessel. However, we learned in season 4 that John Winchester is the one who was originally supposed to break the first seal, but John refused to torture souls in hell and break the first seal. So technically, John was Michael's intended sword/vessel, but that duty fell to Dean (who is of course in the same bloodline) after he broke the first seal
- When Sam is updating the AU hunters on the current state of the world, he references several current events, including: "the Polar ice caps are melting" (referring to global climate change events); "people marching" (referring to the historic 2017 and 2018 Women's marches, and the 2018 student "March For Our Lives" protests against gun violence); "craziness in the movie world" (referring to the 2017 film "The Shape of Water" , which won the Academy Award that year for Best Picture. The film was about a woman who falls in love with an amphibious creature); and a "billionaire businessman becomes president" (referring to the controversial 2016 election of Donald Trump). Sam's board also references "wildfires" (referring to the historic wildfires that swept across large areas of the western US and Canada in 2017 and 2018); and the Chicago Cubs winning the 2016 World Series (the Cubs hadn't previously won a World Series since 1908)
- When Castiel and the Winchesters are preparing to fight the werewolves, Castiel overhears the creatures discussing whether Kylie Jenner will make a good mother, and Dean says he's a "Khloe fan". Kylie Jenner and Chloe Kardashian are wealthy, reality television personalities
- Castiel chose fed aliases Knowles, Rowland, and Williams for himself, Dean, and Sam, referring to the members of the female musical group Destiny's Child. Although the group's personnel changed more than once, the members at one point were Beyonce Knowles, Kelly Rowland, and Michelle Williams
- Lucifer jokingly calls Dean, Sam, and Castiel the "Three Amigos". Rowena called them the same thing in "Beat the Devil". "Amigo" means friend in Spanish, but Lucifer was likely joking about the 1986 comedy film "Three Amigos" that starred Martin Short, Chevy Chase, and Steve Martin
- Jack wanted to travel "like Star Wars" with Lucifer. The Star Wars movie franchise (1977- present) deals with the lives of a group of intergalactic rebels fighting against an evil empire. Lucifer also told Jack that he could have a "light saber" and a "wookie". These also both reference the Star Wars films. A light saber is a laser beam-sword used by futuristic knights (called Jedi) in their battle against evil. A wookie is a large, powerful, furry, creature featured in several of the Star Wars films
- Lucifer called Bobby "Longmire" referring to a television series (2012 - 2017) about a sheriff in a Western town. The television show is based on a series of novels by Craig Johnson
- Lucifer claimed that he would destroy the world in seven days, undoing God's creation. This is clearly a reference to the biblical creation story in Genesis (the first book of the bible's Old Testament) which depicts how God created the world in six days, then rested on the seventh day
- William Shakespeare (1582-1616) is an historically significant British poet, playwrite, and actor
- "Carry On Wayward Son -- by Kansas (plays during the season 13 recap)
- "As Long as It's Real" -- by Raphael Lake, Aaron Levy, Dumi Moraire, and Ambrose Arnold (plays on Nate's headphones when Jack arrives at the convenience store
Click HERE to see the discussion thread for this episode.