Episode 11.17: Red Meat
Episode Title: Safe House
Air date: March 23, 2016
Directed by: Stefan Pleszczynski
Written by: Robbie Thompson
In this wonderful flashback episode, we see Bobby and Rufus work a case, while Sam and Dean pursue the same creature years later.
- Rufus: "Even if we find a way to keep the world spinning, not everyone's gonna be on that bus ride home."
- Rufus: (About Bobby's car) "Would it kill you to at least wash this dam**d thing? It smells like road kill casserole in here."
- Dean: Let's get drunk and not think about this ever again."
|Jim Beaver (Bobby Singer)||Steven Williams (Rufus Turner)|
|Jane McLean (Naoki Himura)||Emily Delahunty (Kat)|
|Holly Elissa (Mary Henderson)||Michele Scarabelli (Dr. Richards)|
- Did Dean and Bobby really see each other in the nest, or were they both hallucinating?
- Is the soul eater Bobby hunted in Tennessee still alive?
- How can Bobby and Rufus use a backhoe to dig up graves in a cemetery without getting caught?
- Bobby and Rufus once hunted a baku in Alaska
- Bobby and a hunter named Harvey once hunted a soul eater in Tennessee
- According to Rufus, the oldest rule of hunting is that you can't save everybody; but he tells Bobby to dismiss that rule where the Winchesters are concerned.
- The house's address in this episode was 207 Oak Street, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- The bottle of Johnny Walker Blue that Bobby finds in his car is the same bottle Jody Mills and Sam find and drink together in season 7 "Time After Time".
- We saw Bobby and Rufus use a backhoe to dig a grave in "Weekend at Bobby's" (season 6)
- Holly Elissa (the actress who played Mary Henderson in this episode) also played the shapeshifter/bar waitress "Lucy" in season 4 "Monster Movie"
- At the end of the episode, the disc jockey who announces the Allman Brothers' song is Bob Singer.
- Bobby introduces himself and Rufus as Special Agents Riggs and Murtaugh. Those characters are police detectives from the "Lethal Weapon" movies, played by Mel Gibson and Danny Glover.
- Bobby and Rufus once hunted a baku in Alaska. Traditionally, the baku is a spirit creature that eats nightmares; but if it remains hungry, it can also devour ones desires and hopes.
- Dean's quip about Rufus and Bobby being "grumpy old Men of Letters" is a reference to the film "Grumpy Old Men" starring Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau.
- "Night Life" by Willie Nelson (plays when Dean and Sam, and Bobby and Rufus are doing research)
- "Midnight Rider" by The Allman Brothers (plays when Bobby drives away at the end of the episode. It also plays when Dean and Sam drive away.)
Click HERE to see the discussion thread for this episode.