I love the Winchester '67 Chevy Impala. The running lights (also called cornering lamps) are my favorite part of the car. I wondered if old, real running lamp salvaged off a '67 could by made into desk lamps. Following these steps, turns out they can!
1. Search for them on Ebay
2. Outbid other interested bidders
3. Call a retired metal fabricator you know
4. Have said retired metal fabricator decline to work on the project but he graciously passes your information along to a friend of his; a retired electrical engineer and metal fabricator
5. Have the friend say "yes"
6. Take all parts to said friend
7. Voila; a few weeks later, these appeared:
My sincere thanks to Brad who made this idea a reality. He machined the aluminum stems/posts and bases and even did a nice bit of engraving on them! This was tricky to get the balance right since the bottoms of the original lamps have several angles to them. He also re-wired them to work with night light bulbs and househould outlets. I love their deco look! They look great all lined up on the dressers and give off such a lovely soft light at night.
|Latest page update: made by spnfanforever , Oct 13 2014, 2:41 PM EDT|
|Started By||Thread Subject||Replies||Last Post|
|journalbookbinder||thanks Zu||0||Apr 2 2012, 9:31 AM EDT by journalbookbinder|
Thread started: Apr 2 2012, 9:31 AM EDT Watch
SUPER-Zu; you crack me up. 🙂 I've seen couches made out of the front or back of an old Cadillac...now, if I could just figure out how to do that with the Impala....but seems a shame to sacrifice an Impala for something like that! 🙂
|SuperZu||Wow ... once again!||0||Mar 17 2012, 5:26 AM EDT by SuperZu|